IMSLEC's Mission, Vision, Purpose, and Benefits
Mission of IMSLEC
The mission of IMSLEC is to accredit quality training courses for the professional preparation of multisensory structured language education specialists.
IMSLEC's vision is to improve the instruction of reading for all children and adults.
Purpose of IMSLEC
- To advocate for high standards in the professional preparation of multisensory structured language education specialists — clinicians and teachers
- To establish standards and criteria of excellence
- To evaluate and accredit:
- Comprehensive MSLE training courses offered by existing independent agencies and centers; and
- MSLE courses offered by other already accredited institutions.
Benefits of IMSLEC
Through accreditation of training programs, IMSLEC assists individuals with dyslexia and related disorders to reach their potential as contributing members of society.
IMSLEC is an important resource for parents, government agencies, and educational systems for the clarification of what constitutes a quality teacher training program for teachers of dyslexic students by establishing organizational criteria and evidenced-based instructional program standards for content and methodology for MSLE training courses. IMSLEC provides a directory of accredited programs, teachers, and therapists.
Accreditation of a training course assures intervention for children and adults with dyslexia is based on an alternate reading approach which has a scientific basis for its instructional procedures. Individuals with dyslexia or related disorders require a different method of teaching to match their learning differences.
Accreditation of an MSLE training course assures that the teachers or therapists trained in that program have received adequate course instruction and practicum in the skills required to produce positive, measurable results in literacy for the dyslexic population.